American Society of Clinical Oncology
NLP Data Scientist
Do you want to use your skills in technology and Big Data to fight cancer? The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) has launched, CancerLinQ™, an exciting Big Data platform containing vast amounts of real-world cancer information. This national initiative is already live in 39 states across the US and will aggregate data from the routine care experiences of cancer patients to improve the quality of care and improve health outcomes of all patients with cancer. The project has been recognized by Vice President Joe Biden’s Moonshot to cure cancer initiative. We are looking for a talented NLP Data Scientist to join us in our fight against cancer using big data technologies.
ASCO is a professional oncology society headquartered directly outside of Washington D.C. in Alexandria, Virginia with over 40,000 members worldwide committed to conquering cancer through research, education, prevention and delivery of high quality patient care. Working as a part of CancerLinQ also offers a unique opportunity for innovation in the growing world of health IT while being supported by ASCO, one of the most established organizations in health that is led by the world’s most trusted experts in the oncology.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a highly motivated NLP Data Scientist who enjoys tackling new challenges to work on a groundbreaking platform.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide the computational sciences and medical informatics expertise to develop and support the integration of natural language processing (NLP) technologies into the CancerLinQ platform
- Define and implement analytic approaches and new statistical and data management methodologies to improve current and future decision-making related to the analytic use of NLP-derived data
- Contribute to the development of a research-grade oncology data enterprise by creating and developing algorithms and identifying and implementing solutions to promote utilization of NLP-derived data into business applications
- Collaborate with CancerLinQ curation teams to plan, assess, and monitor NLP-assisted curation initiatives
- Provide statistical and methodological expertise to assess and validate the accuracy, consistency, and fidelity of data derived from NLP and NLP-assisted curation initiatives
- Translate for project sponsors, clinical users, and commercial clients abstract technical and implementation concepts related to NLP methodologies and adoption strategies
- Work with project sponsors and external vendors to design, test, and deploy new system functionality
- Assist with the development, maintenance, and adherence to policies, SOPs, and Data Management Plans (DMPs)
- Master’s or PhD degree in computer science, applied mathematics, economics, statistics, chemistry, physics, electrical engineering, healthcare informatics, or related field.
- 5-10 years’ experience in data analysis using analytics packages such as: R, SAS, SPSS, MATLAB or similar software
- Demonstrated experience with researching and applying machine learning and/or natural language processing (NLP) methodologies
- Experience in data modeling, algorithm development and data quality analysis
- Considerable skill in effective verbal and written communications
- Enjoys and excels in working in multidisciplinary, team-based settings with other technical and clinical specialists.
The ideal candidate will also possess
- Experience working with business intelligence software
- A strong track record of solving data issues and creating reproducible analyses and well documented processes
- Experience with one or more of the following: Map/Reduce, NoSQL, SQL, ETL, XML
- Familiarity with programming languages (Java, Python etc) and relational databases (SQL, Oracle, etc.)
- Prior experience in, or strong knowledge of, health IT
- Excellent benefits package.
- Subsidized parking or Metro benefits.
- Opportunities to participate in professional development programs.
ASCO is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)