Barrett Paving Materials Inc., a subsidiary of Barrett Industries Corporation, upholds the highest standards of Safety, Environmental Stewardship, and Ethical Conduct. We provide advanced solutions for our customers’ needs while having a positive impact in our local communities and generating sustainable growth and long term value for our shareholder. Our mission is to strengthen and grow our infrastructure products and services by empowering and developing our people, fostering innovation, utilizing new technology, and maximizing vertical integration at all levels of the company’s value chain. We are strong, stable and growing.
Construction Estimator | Middletown, OH
The Estimator/Project Manager position is responsible for preparing bid estimates for projects, proposal development and management of company construction projects, preparing complete bid packages and proposals, RFQ’s, RFP’s in accordance with the job requirements. The position is also responsible for monitoring and maintaining job costs including purchasing and project schedules. May specialize in a particular service or project depending on the type of project or service to be provided i.e. Construction, Cost, Design, Electrical, Project Manager, Production.
- Analyze blueprints and other documentation to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates.
- Assess cost effectiveness of projects or services, tracking actual costs as the project develops.
- Confer with engineers, architects, owners, contractors, and subcontractors on project plans, changes and adjustments to project estimates.
- Prepare estimates used by management for purposes such as planning, organizing and scheduling work.
- Prepare estimates for use in selecting vendors or subcontractors.
- Develop construction means and methods, appropriate equipment, material use and application, crew sizing, and crew build-up.
- Consult with clients, vendors, personnel in other departments or construction operations to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Develop estimates from various types of bid documents and their key components including components such as bonding, insurance, indemnification, and damage clauses.
- Attend pre-bid and job site meetings.
- Negotiate project construction time and penalty clauses.
- Develop customer relationships to enhance bid opportunities.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies.
- Track and report real time cost data tracking actual cost costs, schedules relative to bid proposals as the project develops.
- Ensures that any applicable local union CBA’s and/or federal/state prevailing wage rates guidelines are considered, monitored, implemented and maintained per project bid requirements.
- Conducts and/or attends pre-construction, progress and other project/activities as well as any staff meetings.
- Maintains liaison with other departments including but not limited to Safety, Purchasing, Quality Control, Engineering, Regional/Local Site Management, HR and IT on matters of significance.
- Reviews constructability/production analysis of bid documents, including specifications, site conditions, contracts and building codes.
Experience and Background
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job satisfactorily
- BS degree in civil engineering/construction management or equivalent relevant experience.
- Minimum of 2-4 years’ progressive experience as an estimator/project manager
- General knowledge and understanding of various safety and codes and compliance including OHSA regulations and corresponding state and local codes and statues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff.
- Ability to work well independently and also as participate as a functioning contributing member of bid and project teams as assigned.
- Self-motivated with the ability to quickly learn new procedures and processes.
- The ability to respond quickly and effectively to ever-changing situations. Must possess the ability to coach, mentor and contribute to project activities.
- Exhibit strong business acumen, skills and maturity and the ability to work effectively with others.
- Highly developed organizational and planning skills, time management skills and written/ oral communications skills.