BCD Travel helps companies make the most of what they spend on travel. For travelers, this means keeping them safe and productive, and equipping them to make good choices on the road. For travel and procurement managers, it means advising them on how to grow the value of their travel program. In short, we help our clients travel smart and achieve more.
We make this happen in more than 110 countries with over 12.000 creative, committed and experienced people. And it’s how we maintain an industry-leading client-retention rate of 97%, with 2015 sales of US$23.8 billion.
DATA ARCHITECT | REMOTE POSITION
The Data Architect/Big Data is responsible for the development data architecture as it relates to our Big Data infrastructure; i.e. MapR. This role will be responsible for understanding and translating the requirements to deliver the documented data architecture and design details to the development teams. This role will need to have a clear understanding the data requirements, security requirements, metadata, design, development and test activities to successfully deliver the BCD Travel Big Data / Enterprise Data Hub platform.
This role requires a strong Big Data technology stack knowledge as well as other data repository technologies; i.e. SQL Server and data architecture/modeling background with large scale systems (i.e Data Warehousing, Data Virtualization). In addition, this role will provide input to our development standards and need to embrace and apply our data governance policies.
- Review and manage work assignments for team in an Agile development environment.
- Proven ability to correctly estimate tasks and to deliver upon committed dates.
- Ability to set and manage own priorities effectively in a dynamic organization.
- Effective listener, who can give timely and constructive feedback. Is willing to state opinions assertively and deals constructively with conflict situations.
- A problem solver as well as willing to compromise for a common effective and efficient solution
- Work as a team; cross trains as well communicates effectively and efficiently in a virtual global team environment.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key business and technology partners
- Ensure all code changes are managed according to the company best practices.
- Work closely with business analysis and application owners to review and project requirements and design artifacts.
- Identify opportunities for improvement as well as innovate.
- Validate the reference architecture and provide details for the architecture of platforms, leading and working hands-on towards implementation and delivery to production for our MapR platform.
- Provide architecture/design for solving various business problems. The solutions will need to consider the full enterprise data hub platform including, but not limited to MapR, Data Virtualization and Drools/BRMS.
- Help lead the charge on development strategy, ensuring rapid delivery while taking responsibility for applying standards, principles, theories and concepts.
- Ensure proper/complete documentation is to standards; architecture, design, metadata, etc.
- Innovative solutions to enable business to gain access to data in a rapid manner with long term vision in mind.
- Delivery high quality comprehensive solutions.
- Diligently teaming with the infrastructure, network, database, application and business intelligence teams to ensure architecture and designs exceed expectations. Mentor team members on technology stack.
- Work with various development teams to ensure deliverables meet and/or exceed expectations for, but not limited to; requirements, performance and compliance to standards.
- Pro-actively helps to resolve difficult technical issues and provide technical knowledge to the team.
- Keep management informed of work activities and schedules.
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE
- Software Development Experience - 3+ Years (Unix/Linux scripting, python, SQL/TSQL)
- Hadoop/MapR; Spark/SQL, Sqoop, Hive, Drill, Impala, Flume, Jenkins, Kie, JBoss EAP, etc. - 2+ years
- BRMS/Drools - knowledge and/or experience is preferred
- TOGAF/DMBOK - knowledge and/or experience with standards is preferred
- SQL Server 2008 or newer - 3+ years
- Data Analysis - 3+ years (technical data analysis)
- SAP PowerDesigner, SAP Information Steward preferred
- Experience using tools such as RedGate, Atlassian (Jira), Wiki, Visual Studio, TFS, PragmaticWorks, Power Designer, Tortoise/SVN, Git, SQL Server
- Experience with the data/development architecture in the field of big data specific to Hadoop Zoo; MapR experience preferred. -- Data definitions - catalogs, canonical structure, etc; Indicate components of the zoo which are best suited to solve business problems; Data lifecycle management; Instance/container approach to utilize; Data Lake and Data Hub definition; Data integration
- Prior experience in migrating big data platforms from earlier to latest versions of the platforms by defining application code and/or other impacts.
- Knowledge of SCM concepts using tools like Git, SVN etc.
- Experience with programming languages like Python, C, C++, Java, Perl or PHP, including with UNIX scripting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with ability to communicate technical issues to nontechnical and technical audiences