- a tech company changing the way the world reads
- a membership that gives users access to the world’s largest online library of books, audiobooks, magazines, and sheet music
We value trying new things, craftsmanship, being an open book, and the people that make our team great.
Join us and build something meaningful.
About the team
We’ve built a library of millions of books, audiobooks, magazine articles, sheet music collections, and user uploaded documents. 90% of millions of active users discover Scribd and continue to engage with content and build their libraries using our website.
We’re looking for diverse, well-rounded, communicative engineers to help empower our readers to indulge their curiosities and expand their knowledge by building quality products and user experiences. Our projects tend to be 1-2 front end engineers at a time, so trust, accountability, and excellent communication skills are extremely important.
- We rebuilt our browse experience from the ground up to be faster, more modular, and to better connect readers with the content they want.
- We added a localization framework to allow every user-facing string on the site to be translated
- We're using React to implement dynamic interfaces across core features in our product
- SEO - with a library of millions of books, audiobooks and documents, search engine optimization is about a lot more than having a good sitemap.
- Responsive Web - desktop, tablet, phone – whatever device you have, we want you to be able to read!
- Site speed. How fast is fast enough? Faster! Measure, optimize, repeat...
- Accessibility - do you know what ARIA attributes are? Ever use a screen reader? We’re bringing Scribd up to WCAG level-AA to make reading work for folks who use assistive technology
You're curious, humble, and interested in learning. You like and value people! You have good taste - you don't have to be a designer, but you should take pride in your work and want to make our app a beautiful, delightful reading experience
- Experience with continuous integration environments, writing testable software, as well as unit and integration tests with frameworks like Capybara, rspec and Phantomjs.
- Experience coding features using an A/B testing framework
- Experience de-bugging issues in a complex modern web architecture which includes: distributed servers, cdns, image servers, databases, asynchronous web services, CSRF, cross site scripting, etc
- We are located in downtown San Francisco, just a few minutes’ walk from BART
- 100% employer covered Medical/Dental/Vision for regular, full-time employees
- We have a small budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
- We have a lot of trust with very little bureaucracy
- Three meals a day, catered from local restaurants
- Coffee and tea runs every afternoon
- Apple laptops and Thunderbolt displays
- Company events that include monthly happy hours and offsites (past events include Safari West, Stinson Beach, ski trips, etc.)