Founded in 2000, University Prep Academy (UPA) opened its doors with only 112 sixth grade students. The school was initially housed in the basement of “The Promise Land,” a small church on Detroit’s east side. With the promise of a 90% graduation rate and a guarantee that 90% of students would go on to post-secondary education, UPA became the first “90/90 school” in Detroit. Since its inception, the UPA district has grown to include a high school (2003) and two elementary schools, Ellen Thompson Elementary (2005) and Mark Murray Elementary (2008). UPA High School graduated its first senior class in 2007 with more than 93% of its graduates enrolling in post-secondary educational programs. After a decade of serving Detroit children, UPA continues to evolve. Our core philosophy, however, remains the same – to ensure our students not only graduate and go on to pursue higher education, but that they leave our schools prepared for the world around them. Our continued commitment to individualized learning coupled with a self-imposed mandate to consistently attract and retain dedicated teachers, guarantees our students the chance to find and pursue their passions and to succeed both in school and in the world beyond.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE / PURCHASING CLERK | DETROIT, MI
If you are dedicated to a pursuit of excellence both in yourself and our students; if you are self-motivated; if you are an innovator and if you want to play a key role in changing young lives --we are looking for U. Our mission: to give students the courage to pursue a future full of possibilities. Our students come to our network of schools looking for a rewarding and fulfilling education. Comprised of two public charter school districts; University Preparatory Academy and University Prep Science and Math; we educate over 3,300 students in the burgeoning city of Detroit. Help us to prepare our students for success in life and be a part of U.
The Accounts Payable/Purchasing Clerk coordinates the purchase of all equipment and supplies in compliance with state laws and network policies, payment of invoices, and inventory management.
- Has a clear sense of vision and purpose/ reason for making decision
- Plans in a thorough , meticulous manner.
- Offers innovative ideas or solutions to new/ old problems.
- Self-starter – takes responsibility for initiating necessary changes or actions.
- Remains focused on goal attainment, perseveres, monitors, delivers.
- Doesn’t let the details fall between the cracks.
- Stays with a project through to its completion.
- Reliable – Can be counted on to complete tasks/ projects on time
- Positive attitude , promotes harmonious collaboration
- Truly appreciates that teamwork will produce superior results
- Genuinely enjoys and is enthusiastic about being part of a team
- Contributes fair share to the team
- Able to motivate and positively influence others
- Listens , identifies others’ perspective(s)
- Communicates effectively with others regardless of differences
- Self-care , prioritizes personal wellness
- Views challenges as exciting learning experiences
- Establishes and maintains current policies and procedures for all network purchasing and procurement activity
- Serves as the computerized purchasing system coordinator for all remote building level personnel
- Converts electronic purchase requisitions submitted from building level staff into purchase orders and verifies approvals
- Facilitates the purchase of goods via competitive bidding, informal quotations, and negotiation
- Maintains a common current vendor list
- Develops a standard school order supply list that is fulfilled twice per school year
- Processes invoices for payment, after verifying all conditions are met including satisfactory delivery and billing
- Monitors listing of all open purchase orders and actively seeks disposition by consulting with various network personnel and vendors if necessary
- Prepares weekly payable reports as required
- Prepares applicable year end reports and assists in the preparation of documents for the school district’s annual independent audit
- Creates cash deposits as needed
- Assists the Director and Assistant Director in performing general accounting functions as needed
- Serves as a Central Office greeter and receptionist
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE
- Associate’s degree in Accounting preferred, or equivalent skills and/or experience
- Minimum of 2 years experience in related field
- Proficient in spreadsheet software applications, specifically Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets
- Basic skills using email and using word processor applications, specifically Microsoft Word or Google Docs
- General office skills, including filing
- Excellent customer service skills
- Professional tone and diction
- Background in school purchasing and/or accounts payable a plus